- 4 ounces wide rice noodles
- 1.5–2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, using more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons honey or maple
- 0.13–0.5 teaspoon chili flakes, plus more for serving
- 0.5 pound raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1.5 tablespoons peanut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1.5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1–1.5 eggs, beaten
- 1 cups bean sprouts or chopped baby bok coy (or other greens)
- 2 green onions, chopped, plus more for serving
- 0.13 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- Thai or regular basil and limes, for serving
1. Cook the rice noodles according to packaged directions.
2. To make the sauce. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar, honey, and chili flakes.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the shrimp and sear on both sides until pink, 2-3 minutes. Add the butter, garlic, a pinch of both chili flakes and black pepper. Continue to cook the shrimp in the butter until the garlic begins to caramelize and turn light golden brown, another 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the noodles and sauce, tossing to combine. Cook until the noodles are warmed through and begin soaking up the sauce, about 1 minute. Push the noodles to one side of the skillet and add the eggs to the other side. Let cook until the edges start to set, 1 minute. Roughly scramble the egg, then toss with the noodles. Remove from the heat. Add the bean sprouts and green onions, toss to combine.
5. Divide the noodles and shrimp between plates. Top with basil, green onions, peanuts, and chili flakes. Add a squeeze of lime juice.